- Not bad
- Your rating:
Your rating has been saved
Oops, something's gone wrong. Try again.
Perian is fully compatible with:
- Mac OS X
You'll also need:
Perian is also compatible with
Versions of Perian
|Perian 1.2.3 25/07/11||Free (GPL)||English||Download|
Did you know about a new version? Tell us
- With Perian, the Swiss Army Knife for QuickTime, any OS X application that uses QuickTime can now use these additional media types:
- AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats
- MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
- AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
- Subtitle support for SSA and SRT
- What's New
- Version 1.2.3:
- N.B. Version 1.2.3 is the last version to support Mac OS X 10.4
- Some Fraps videos only displayed black. [r1424] (#566)
- Workaround checks for Front Row stopped being effective. [r1426] (#564)
- Fixed compatibility with web video playback. [r1427, r1429, r1450] (#572)
- Worked around System Preferences crashing during an update on 10.6. [r1449] (#591)
- This change will take effect after this update.
- Further fixes to Matroska import. [r1432, r1441, r1447] (#338, #492, #594, #601)
Perian supports the following formats
AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats, MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
Important Note: Perian is no longer under development and does not work with QuickTime 10 or above. However, it still works with QuickTime 7.6.6.
Review last updated: 02/10/12
- Support wide range of media files
- Subtitle support for SSA and SRT
- Works with QuickTime 7.6.6
- May not play all media types
- No longer under development
- Does not work with QuickTime 10 or above
"Works Great on Lion and Mountain - Requires Quick Time 7.6.6 - Not QT 10"
.avi files now play in QuickTime 10.1 or later without any plugin or conversion.
.wmv files require QuickTime 7.6.6 with Perian 1.2.3.
Mac Perian works just fine in SL, Lion and ML. It's QT 10 that's the problem. Fortunately, QT 7.6.6 still works great. Trash QT 7.7 if found.
Find the QuickTime 7.6.6 Installer in the Extras folder of the SL, Lion and ML Iinstaller or download it free from Apple. Run the installer. It defaults to the Utilities folder. Do Not Move it to the Applications Folder or it will conflict with QT 10 (required by System). If you have a QT 6/7 Pro Key for the Mac, open QT 7.6.6 and install your key by going to Registration.
Once you have downloaded and installed Perian 1.2.3 and QT 7.6.6, you must do the following:
Do a Get Info on any .wmv file. Select Quick Time Player 7 for Open With.
It must say Quick Time Player 7. If not in the menu, select Other, navigate to your Utilities folder and then select Quick Time Player 7.
Check the box to Open All.
- Works great with supported files
- Doesn't work with QT 10. Must install QT 7.6.6 (same as QT Pro users)
- 20 Sep 2012
When we migrate from one operating system to another, a common mistake is to try and use the new OS... See more
If there's one thing Microsoft Messenger for Mac users have been waiting far too long for, it's video... See more
Questions and answers Perian
Discover alternatives to and add-ons for Perian
- perian 123
- mac os x 10.3.9 perian
- perian 1.1.3
- perian mac os x 10.8.5 type
- mac os x 10.9.2 quicktime
- mpeg4 player mac os x 10.6.8
- xvid ac3 mac
- download fraps
- quicktime mpeg2 component
- perian 1.2.2
- fraps download free full version